I love using this bread recipe as it is very quick and easy. We stopped buying bread about 2 1/2 months ago, we just make our own now. There is such a satisfying feeling to be making our own bread. Often I make it in the evening after getting home from work, so it is ready for toast and lunches the next day.
Basic Bread Recipe
300ml warm water
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp milk power
2 tbsp oil
3 cups plain white flour
1 tbsp active yeast
I make my bread dough in a kitchen-aid with a dough hook, by you can just as easily do this by hand.
- Pour water in a bowl large enough to mix all the ingredients
- Add the salt, sugar, milk power, oil, then the flour and yeast.
- Mix in the kitchen-aid until the dough is not sticking to the sides of the bowl, you can add more flour if needed
- Let the dough knead in the kitchen aid for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a well oiled bowl, cover with cling wrap, then put in a warm place to double in size. I often put the dough on top of the oven , with the oven on low.
- Once doubled in size give a quick knead, shape as desired and put in a well oiled tin. Leave to double in size
- Once doubled in size bake in the oven on 220C until golden brown on top, and it sounds hollow when you tap the bottom of the tin.
Variations on this recipe:
For a grain loaf, swap 1 cup of white flour for 1 cup of wholemeal flour, and add 1/3 cup kibbled grains with the other ingredients.
For a fruit load, add 1 tspn cinnamon to original recipe, then add 1 cup of sultanas just before your have finished the 10 minutes of kneading. I add the sultanas at this stage so they don’t get too chopped up.